As the month of November brings lung cancer into focus, it’s time to increase public understanding of the disease, including its prevalence, approaches to screening and prevention, treatment options, and resources that offer updated lung cancer information throughout the year.
The American Cancer Society (ACS) estimates that in 2009 there will be 219,440 new cases of lung cancer; this will make up about 15% of cancer diagnoses overall. Lung cancer, which is classified for treatment purposes as small cell or non–small cell, accounts for the most cancer-related deaths in both men and women, according to the ACS. Lung cancer deaths for 2009 are estimated to total 159,390, which is about 28% of all cancer deaths.
Staying informed with the latest news on prevention and screening is an important step in reducing your risk of developing lung cancer. Access to current, in-depth management information can help you choose optimal care and achieve the best possible outcomes.
Learning More About Lung Cancer
- Find informative tips on the management of lung cancer at Lung Cancer Tips.
- To find expanded information on the prevention, screening, and treatment of lung cancer, stay updated with the lasted news, and join a lung cancer community, visit the Lung Cancer Information Center.
- Sign up to receive Cancer Consultants’ free online lung cancer newsletter, which provides disease-specific features, current news, tips, and nutrition and wellness information. Subscribe at https://www.cancerconsultants.com/about-cancerconsultants/subscription/.
- Visit the Cancer Care Store on Cancerconsultants.com for book titles with topics ranging from personal cancer memoirs to expert nutritional guides about fueling your body to prevent and fight cancer.
- For even more late-breaking lung cancer news and discussion, follow Cancer Consultants on Facebook and Twitter.
 American Cancer Society. Cancer Facts and Figures 2009. Available at https://www.cancer.org/docroot/STT/stt_0.asp. (Accessed November 4, 2009).
Copyright © CancerConsultants. All Rights Reserved.